Cineverse Acquires U.S. Rights for ‘Return to Silent Hill’

Cineverse has announced today the acquisition of U.S. rights for Return to Silent Hill, the newest installment in the film franchise based on the wildly popular horror video game series from KONAMI. The announcement was made today ahead of the Cannes Film Festival. The film’s extensive visual effects were recently completed and a date for a wide theatrical release will be announced soon.

Return to Silent Hill follows James (Jeremy Irvine), a man broken after his relationship with the love of his life, Mary (Hannah Emily Anderson), ends. When a mysterious letter from her calls him back to Silent Hill, he finds a once-recognizable town transformed by an unknown evil. While James desperately searches for Mary he encounters terrifying creatures and begins to unravel the mystery of what happened to the town. But as he descends deeper into the darkness the secrets he uncovers lead to a horrifying truth, and James finds himself struggling to hold on long enough to save his one true love. The film is a faithful adaptation of the video game Silent Hill 2 which creator and publisher KONAMI remade and successfully released last year to wide acclaim.

The film stars Irvine (Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, War Horse) and Anderson (X-Men: Dark Phoenix, Jigsaw). Returning to the Silent Hill universe are director Christophe Gans (Beauty and the BeastBrotherhood of The Wolf) who also directed the first Silent Hill film released in 2006 and Akira Yamaoka, original composer for the game franchise. Produced by Victor Hadida of Davis Films (Resident Evil and Silent Hill franchises), Molly Hassell of Hassell Free Productions (Terminal, Braven) and David Wulf (Call Jane, The Card Counter, Inheritance).

“As we continue to build our slate of theatrical releases, we couldn’t be more thrilled to add the next release from a billion dollar, multi-platform franchise with a global box office of $156 million to date across the first two films,” said Cineverse Chief Content Officer Yolanda Macias.

“Silent Hill is one of the best video game franchises period and Christophe Gans did a phenomenal job capturing the atmosphere of the games once again with Return to Silent Hill,” said Cineverse Executive Director, Acquisitions Brandon Hill. 

“I am delighted to partner with Cineverse, which has shown a genuine understanding of fanship. Return to Silent Hill is an adaptation created out of deep respect for a true masterpiece of a game, KONAMI’S iconic Silent Hill 2. I hope fans will enjoy and be fulfilled with the experience this new film has to offer,” said director Christophe Gans.

Producer Victor Hadida continues “We are impressed by Cineverse’s proven ability to handle franchise IP so authentically and with a fan-forward focus. The film is an immersive and stunning visual experience and we are thrilled that Cineverse will be bringing it to theaters for audiences across the US.

Silent Hill is one of the most recognized horror games worldwide. Game creator and publisher KONAMI released a remake of the iconic Silent Hill 2 game in October 2024, selling more than 1 million copies in the first week and surpassing 2 million copies just a few months later. The Silent Hill 2 game remake secured numerous awards, nominations and accolades including 2024 Game of the Year by The Horror Game Awards. KONAMI has also announced Silent Hill f and Silent Hill: Townfall as upcoming games in the series.

Cineverse’s upcoming releases include Legendary & Troma Entertainment’s The Toxic Avenger on August 29, 2025, a reimagining of the 1984 slasher classic Silent Night Deadly Night on December 12, 2025 and Wolf Creek: Legacy in 2026.

The deal was negotiated by Macias and Hill for Cineverse and CAA Media Finance on behalf of the producers.

International rights for Return to Silent Hill are with The Veterans who will be representing the film at the upcoming Cannes Film Market.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts
Read More

THE PALEY CENTER FOR MEDIA ANNOUNCES SCHEDULE FOR THE 41ST ANNUAL PALEYFEST LA

The Paley Center for Media today announced the schedule for the 41st annual PaleyFest LA, which will take place from Friday, April 12 through Saturday, April 20, at the DOLBY THEATRE in Hollywood. The nation's premier television festival celebrating creative excellence, PaleyFest LA brings audiences together with television's brightest stars from the most acclaimed and buzzworthy TV shows, and features screenings of special preview and premiere content with never-before-seen TV footage.
Read More

MARCUS THEATRES ROLLS OUT THE MARCUS MOVIE CLUB

Marcus Theatres®, a division of The Marcus Corporation (NYSE: MCS), is premiering its movie membership service. For only $9.99 per month, moviegoers who join Marcus Movie Club receive a credit to see any 2D movie each month, get 20% off food and beverages, have unlimited access to additional tickets for just $9.99 for friends, family, and themselves, and won't pay any digital convenience fees. Unused monthly ticket credits roll over for members, and both credits and unlimited $9.99 ticket pricing can be used for early access and opening night screenings.
Read More

SCREENX Debuts in the Philippines

CJ 4DPLEX, a worldwide leading producer of premium film formats and cinema technologies, announced today a new partnership with SM Cinema, the largest exhibitor in the Philippines, to debut the country's first-ever SCREENX theater to the SM Mall of Asia.